Installing a Php MySQL + Apache development environment was once very frustrating (especially on Windows Vista !) until XAMPP launched.
XAMPP is an easy to install Apache distribution containing MySQL, PHP and Perl. XAMPP is really very easy to install and to use – just download, extract and start. The best part is IT IS FREE.
I have only tried the Windows version and is already loved it ! The windows version works on Windows 98, NT, 2000, 2003, XP and Vista. This version contains: Apache, MySQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, Ming, JpGraph, FileZilla FTP Server, mcrypt, eAccelerator, SQLite, and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql
Why I like XAMPP so much ?
- The installation is really easy on my Vista notebook, I do not have to handle the troublesome Vista User account control (UAC).
- Installation comes with latest Apache 2.6, php 4 & 5, MySQL 5+
- Zend optimer is included.
- Switching between Php 4 and Php 5 is very simple.
- Apache and MySQL can run as service of run adhoc.